Friday, March 12, 2010

Our New Approach



I thought I would share our success with family scripture study. Tyler and I have tried to read 5-10 verses every night out of the Book of Mormon as a family, but have not had a lot of success keeping Milly's attention, including our own at times. I was contemplating on what to do and the Lord led me to a friend who gave me an idea that turned into the answer I was looking for. I typed up all the scripture references that I had highlighted throughout my Book of Mormon. I then cut them apart and put them in a jar. So our new approach is this: We try to read a story out the Book of Mormon Stories book most nights, but most importantly we try to read one verse out of the Book of Mormon every night. Milly picks a scripture from the jar; we then read that verse slowly and talk about the verse. Then I let Milly color that verse with a scripture marker. I just wanted to share this because it is working a lot better for us. We all pay attention, and we are actually discussing gospel principles and the Savior everyday.

5 comments:

Jake and RaNette Free said...

Well aren't you just an over-achiever :) Just kidding. I love the idea and it makes a whole lot of sense to me. Puts a little bit of the hands-on element back into the equation so it's not just reading a bunch of words. Much easier to focus. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

That is awesome! We have been doing the whole 5-10 verses a night and it seems like we end in the middle of something, and then start in the middle of something and it is hard to get the message in the start-stop approach. I really love your idea, and I think we will try and implement it.

LeBaron Family said...

Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you! I"m going to try this with my active Breck. He will sit still sometimes but most times he doesn't! Thank-you for the the wonderful ideas!

vandi said...

I love this! Thank you....it's such a good idea. We've been trying to work on family scripture a lot lately and I think this is a combination of everything I was wanting to do, so thanks. We'll give it a go: )

Karrianne said...

This sounds so great! We have lots of kid versions of scripture stories and we try to read one or two stories every night and talk about the people and principles from that story. I really like this idea for reading from the 'actual' scriptures though. We really haven't attempted that yet. Letting them pick it and color the verse though is a great idea! Thanks!