Sunday, March 1, 2009

My trip to Korea

I am here in Korea! I have been here since Tuesday the 23rd and fly out tomorrow to make the 22 hour trip home. My arrival on time here was a series of very fortunate events and miracles.


The Series of Very Fortunate Events

I had 3 different flights here. The first one was from Jackson Hole at 7:00 am. I was to then fly to Denver and have a little over an hour layover and then fly on to San Francisco. From San Fransisco, I would have a one and a half hour layover and fly straight to Korea (a 13 hour flight).
My first flight was 45 minutes late due to bad weather. I was nervous about making my next flight. When I arrived in Denver, my next flight that was supposed to leave at 10:00 am was delayed do to weather until 11:00 am. I panicked knowing that this would put me in San Francisco right at 1:00 pm, just in time to board my international flight. I said a prayer and went to get a snack. About 15 minutes later, I looked up to find that my flight had been delayed until 11:45 am. I really panicked, because at this point, I would arrive at the airport as my International flight departed. I wanted to cry, but something in me kept persisting with hope. I went and talked to the customer service desk of my flight line. The lady looked at her computer and just kept shaking her head and kept saying, "I'm sorry; I don't know what to do for you." I asked her if there was another flight going to San Fransisco soon, and she told me that there was, but that it had been delayed as well, but it was scheduled to leave 15 minutes sooner than my flight. She asked me if had any checked baggage, which I didn't. I just had my 2 carry ons. That was in my favor; she smiled and looked at her computer. A moment later, she handed me a new ticket for the next flight to San Fransisco. I went to the gate expecting to wait until the delayed time and still aware that I might not make my Korea flight at this rate. To my surprise, They announced that we would be boarding the flight only moments after I had sat down. The flight was on time! As I sat on my new flight, I looked around, and the plane was completely full. It was a miracle that I was able to get a seat on the flight only moments before! The plane was scheduled to land at 1:10 pm and my international flight was to board at 1:00 pm and depart at 1:45 pm. I was still very nervous, but continued to pray and focus on being on that flight. When we got close to San Fransisco, I talked to the stewardess and told her my dilemma. With confidence, she said about 3 times, "You'll never make it. They will automatically schedule you for the next flight out to Korea tomorrow. I was crushed! I asked her if they could at least let me off first and notify the other gate that I was headed that way. She left, and a more positive guy came to help me. He showed me a map of where the gate was that we would be parking at and where I had to run to to catch my other flight. He announced for everyone to let me off first and explained that he would notify the other gate as soon as a stepped off the plane. He told me, "I think you will be fine. Just hurry." I stepped off that plane at 1:15 pm and ran and ran and ran. I am 6 months pregnant, was pulling my suit case and bag strapped to the top of it, was cramping, hurting, sweating, and couldn't breathe, but I was determined to make that flight. I kept thinking, "How much further could it be?" Being an international flight, it was clear at the other end. I must have ran at least a half of a mile. It took me nearly 15 minutes to get to the gate where they were waiting for me to get on. I entered my plane with lots of sweat dripping from my hair line and lots of gratitude! Five minutes later, they closed the doors and prepared for departure. I sat there amazed at the events that led up to me being on that flight. Later in the flight, one of the stewardesses told me that there were 50 individuals that were not on that flight due to weather delays. I was nearly one of those individuals. So, after all that, I arrived in Korea 1 hour earlier than scheduled do to good weather, and Tyler was waiting for me with a rose in his hands. I 'm very grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord!




The long traveling hours have been well worth it, though. Tyler and I have had a wonderful time together. We still can't believe that he's been in Korea for 5 months now! I will be sad to leave, but will be excited to get back home to Amilya. It has been hard to be away from her this week. Tyler and I have mostly stayed between the two Air Force bases (Kunsan and Osan), but we did go into the cities and markets a few times. The shopping here is a lot of fun- to see the different things they make and the great prices for the most part.

Korea is a very interesting place and has been a lot of fun to experience a different country and culture. Here is a list of the top 10 things that I observed and enjoyed Korea.

1. The Korean people are very talented, kind, and take pride in whatever they do, in the way they dress, in the way they run their farms, and run their businesses, etc.
2. The technology and quality of their products are quite impressive.
3. Their cities are very developed and obvious cities, but their towns are random mixtures of industrial buildings and businesses, houses, and farms.
4. For the most part everyone lives in huge 30 story apartment buildings that are very up to date and are all over the place. Others live in houses, but most of the houses are older and a little run down. The most popular color for the roofs on their individual houses is bright blue.
5. Korean food is very interesting. They eat a lot of rice, and a lot of raw foods, but for the most part their food is all on the spicy side. Anything that is red, stay away from, especially if you are pregnant!
6. The Korean money is referred to as "wons." The average exchange rate is $1.00=1,500 wons, but it varies from day to day. So shopping in the open markets is a lot of fun; you can find some great deals! Shopping in their malls and department stores are very comparable to prices we see in America with more high-end products.
7. Duncan Donuts is a popular shop here in Korea. We have purchased from 3 different Duncan Donut stands while I've been here, and their donuts are delicious!
8. Supposedly Koreans have a distinct smell (stinky, as I have had it explained to me). I was a little worried as I am quite sensitive to smells. But to my surprise I have only smelt interesting smells a few times while I have been here. But, my nose has also been stuffy the whole time due to the smog in the air; perhaps that is a good thing.
9. The climate here is similar to Cedar City, Utah. Right now is the end of their winter, beginning of Spring. They occasionally get a little snow through the winter, but it quickly melts. The days are still a little bit chilly, but green grass is beginning to show. They are near the ocean, so the winds from the ocean front make it a little more chilly than it would otherwise be, so I have had to wear my coat most of the time, but it has been nice to be away from snow!
10. The Korean people are very beautiful and for the most part very healthy people. They are on average very active and fit and have very clear beautiful skin. They hold their age very well, always appearing much younger than they really are. They have the cutest kids, and from what I have seen are very well dressed.





7 comments:

Laura said...

That is so awesome that everything worked out for your flights!!! I love the little (or big) things that remind us of how much Heavenly Father really does watch over us and he cares for the same things that we care about.

How neat that you were able to spend some time with Tyler. I bet that this trip will never be forgotten!

Brooke said...

wahoo! I'm so glad you get to see Tyler! Thats crazy about all the flight delays and the marathon of running! Hopefully your flights home are less eventful! Have fun and hope you have a safe trip home.

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~Oliver~ said...

Wow, that is crazy! so glad your having fun and getting to spend time with the Hubby1

emily said...

Ali, I'm so happy for you. You are such a righteous daughter of God. No doubt He loves you!

Hepworth Family said...

Well I'm so glad that everything feel into place and that you were blessed to make it there when you did!

What a neat experience and I'm sure Tyler was THRILLED to see you and be with you!
Take Care!
~Britt~

proudmamablogga said...

Alicia, wow. I am so thrilled you made the flight. How incredible. People can be quite decent sometimes. It's wonderful that there were people willing to help. I hope your time with Tyler is great.

Jon and Sarah Jackson Family said...

That is so great that you got to go and see your hubby. Despite all the potential issues of getting there, I'm glad you made it safe. We still miss you, as always. Send Tyler our love.